Monday, October 10, 2011

Coconut and Caramel Blondies

Coconut and Caramel Blondies - made October 6, 2011 from Chocolatier Magazine, July 1999 issue


It's fall, it was rainy last week and I'm ready for some "comfort baking".  And it seems like so are a lot of people as I see many cute Halloween treats popping up as well as the autumn flavors of pumpkin and apple.  I'll be getting to those too but one of my favorite flavors year round as well as reminding me of fall is actually caramel.  Maybe it's the color or the association with caramel apples which I also associate with Halloween and holidays.  I don't know why because to be honest, I've had maybe one caramel apple in my life.  I love apples and I love caramel but not together.  Except maybe in a caramel apple pie and that's only when the apples are tart enough to offset the sweetness from the caramel.  Otherwise my teeth just ache thinking about it.  In any case, when I made these coconut blondies and topped them with a layer of melted caramel, while it was dark and gloomy outside, that just made me feel like I was really ushering in my favorite season of the year.

It didn't hurt either that these were awesome blondies.  I normally don't like blondies as much as brownies as there are some that are too sweet or they dry out easily.  But I liked these because the coconut really gave them a nice texture and helped to keep the texture both moist and chewy.  The caramel layer on top was decadence itself.  Cut these pieces small as they can be rich.


Blondie batter
1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
¼ cup cake flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to tepid
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ¼ cups sweetened flaked coconut
¾ cup chopped walnuts

Caramel topping
16 vanilla-flavored caramels (5.2 ounces total weight)
2 tablespoons light cream
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

1.     Make the blondies: Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Coat the inside of an 8” square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.  The pan should be thoroughly coated, as the blondie batter tends to stick.  Set aside.
2.     Sift the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon onto a sheet of waxed paper.
3.     Blend together the melted butter and dark brown sugar in a medium bowl.  Whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract.
4.     Stir in the sifted mixture, blending until all the particles of flour are absorbed.  Stir in all the coconut and walnuts.  The batter will be thick and slightly glossy.
5.     Scrape the batter into the prepared baking pan.  Spread the batter evenly in the pan.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until set.  Let the blondies stand in the pan on a cooling rack while you prepare the topping.
6.     Make the caramel topping: Place the caramels, cream, and nutmeg in a small heavy saucepan (preferably enameled cast iron).  Set over moderately low heat and cook slowly to dissolve the caramels, stirring from time to time.  When the caramels are completely dissolved (in about 8 minutes) and the mixture is smooth, remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.  The caramel mixture will be thick.
7.     Immediately spoon the warm caramel topping over the surface of the uncut blondies in wide, patchy drizzles.  Cool completely.  With a small, sharp knife, cut the entire “cake” into 4 quarters, then cut each quarter into 4 pieces.  Store the blondies in an airtight container.

Also linked to Everday Sisters blog

Button

5 comments:

  1. Love caramel. These look so decadent, yet perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved these! They were so moist and delicious. Great balance between the sweet caramel and flavorful blondie cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! This looks amazing, I'm seriously drooling LOL. Thank you so much for linking up to Everyday Sisters Sharing Sundays. I hope to see you back again next week. New Follower :)

    Ellen
    http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, these look incredible. TFS this yummy recipe.

    Pinning on pinterest. ;)

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caramel is one of my favorite things, too. I like caramel dip with tart Granny Smiths. These blondies look amazing! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete