Thursday, October 6, 2011

Toffee Pound Cake

Toffee Pound Cake - made October 1, 2011 from The Complete Book of Baking from Pillsbury (book #168)



This was the only non-brownie I made for the bake sale and that was for any non-chocolate lovers.  I love toffee and baking with toffee or brickle chips.  For people who like a little crunch in their baked goods but don't like nus (like me), toffee is a good alternative.  This cake was a pretty good pound cake with a nice texture that was also moist.  I didn't think it was particular toffee-tasting though.  It was more like a good vanilla pound cake with just a hint of toffee.  To bring out more of a toffee or butterscotch flavor, next time I'd try substituting dark brown sugar for some of the granulated sugar and adding mini butterscotch chips.  I omitted the glaze from the cake since I was packaging these for sale and didn't want a glaze to get too messy when unwrapping each individual slice.



Cake
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups buttermilk
½ cup butter, softened
¼ cup shortening
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
1 (6-oz) package almond brickle baking chips

Glaze
1/3 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 to 3 tablespoons water

1.     Heat the oven to 350 F.  Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt or 10-inch tube pan.  In large bowl, combine all cake ingredients except brickle chips at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minute at medium speed.  By hand, stir in brickle chips.  Pour batter into greased and floured pan.
2.     Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool upright in pan 10 minutes; invert onto serving plate.  Cool completely.
3.     In medium saucepan, beat 1/3 cup butter until light golden brown; remove from heat.  Blend in powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla.  Add water until glaze is smooth and of drizzling consistency.  Immediately spoon over top of cooled cake, allowing some to run down sides.

6 comments:

  1. I love poundcake and the flavors in this will set my taste buds on a happy place :) come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great. I love cooking with toffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I just made your cake, used brown sugar instead of white and vanilla paste. It smells UNBELIEVABLE! I am making it into a 2 layer 8" cake with mocha frosting for a friend. She is going to die! Thank you so much for taking the time to post this!! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy awesome cake!! EVERYONE loved it! I can't wait to make it again in a bundt pan because I want more of that splendid cake!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Oh and I used Heath bar bits. Are those the same a almond brickle baking chips?

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad it turned out, thanks for letting me know! And yes, I used Heath bar bits too.

      Delete