Friday, August 17, 2012

Orange Sandwich Cookies

Orange Sandwich Cookies - made August 12, 2012 from Shugary Sweets' blog

I blogged earlier about how much I enjoy oranges and orange-flavored confections, puzzling as to why I don't bake things like orange cookies more often.  Still can't tell you why but I'm certainly glad I did when I tried this recipe.  This is a very good orange cookie with orange cream filling.  Even my "we don't really like sweets" parents enjoyed this cookie when I brought some over last Sunday.  The dough is easy to make, easy to work with and the cookies come out moist with crisp edges.  Just don't overbake them - 10 minutes in my oven was perfect to get a nice texture to the cookies.  I also used my small ice cream scoop and made smaller cookies since they were going to end up being sandwich cookies.  The cookies don't spread very much so they were the perfect thickness.  I altered the filling slightly as I prefer to use orange juice instead of orange extract or heavy cream but please click on the recipe title to go back to the original recipe on Shugary Sweets' blog.  Overall, an excellent cookie with a summer flavor.

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp orange extract
1 egg
1 generous tablespoon orange zest
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
pinch of salt
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Cream Filling
1/2 cup butter
2 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons orange juice (less or more depending on your preference for the consistency of the filling)
  1. For the cookies, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add vanilla and orange extracts and egg. Beat about 2 minutes. Beat in zest of two oranges (about 1 heaping tablespoon) and 2 Tbsp of fresh orange juice. Scrape sides of bowl and add in dry ingredients.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop by tablespoon and bake in a 350 degree oven for 9-11 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
  3. For the filling, beat butter with powdered sugar.  Add enough orange juice to achieve desired consistency/ Spread filling between two cookies of like size. Store in airtight container.
 

2 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to have one of these cookies right about now! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete